Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Butterfly Effect

I freaked out after watching this movie just now although I have watched it many times before.

Even Qilah was shocked to see me like that. I freaked out as if I just had the Butterfly Effect on me.

I know that it was supposed to be different. I am very sure of it. So I wiki-ed just to make sure that I am right.

And there I found out that there are 3 different endings to this movie, which are:
  1. The director's cut of the film ends with Evan deciding that his ability to alter the past is causing tremendous harm. He travels back to the day of his birth, and as a fetus strangles himself with his umbilical cord. A voice-over replays his mother's confession that he survived while three children before him did not. This, along with her screams of "Not again!" suggest that the fetuses of the miscarriages before him had the same abilities and ultimately chose the same path he did. The resulting timeline showing his friends and family ultimately happier without him.
  2. Another alternate ending shows Evan and Kayleigh stopping on the street when they cross each other. They introduce themselves and Evan asks her out for coffee.
  3. Yet another ending is similar to the one shown in the film, except that Evan follows Kayleigh after she sees him on the street.
The one I saw just now was the third ending. And I don't like it! Maybe because I knew that the ending was supposed to be more tragic. Then suddenly Evan is still alive.

And apparently I find the ending that I first watched gives more impact on me. Although it doesn't really make any sense (how can you kill yourself when you are still a fetus?), but I find that is the biggest sacrifice one can make for his loved ones; killing yourself to save the ones you love.

One thing that I just realized about me is, I like watching the kind of movies that will have tragic/depressing endings. Like this one, or Jeux d'enfants. And the weird part is, I'll watch it over and over, and I am not bored of them. Well not yet kot.

Obviously it is because the movies are not typical. Well at least for me.

And I'll start to look at the bright side of the ending. Like how it will turn out to be like if the ending is different. And I find what they did is somewhat sweet. haha. Killing yourself to save the ones you love is considered sweet?

Okay, not really.

Now I feel like watching Jeux d'enfants.

Its gonna be my fourth time. Or is it the fifth time? I don't know.

I still have quite a number of movies in my hard disk, waiting to be watched. And yet I chose the ones that I have watched many many many times already. heh.

*sigh*

4 comments:

Shah Baharudin said...

hallo Farah,

I see i'm the only one in Palmy to grace your stalk list..hehe

honoured2..

its simplesoulabroad btw,..i think the link u put is simplesouldabroad...hehe

cheers Farah

FM said...

ho ho ho thanks shah. x sedar pulak ;)

Jo said...

eee some time i must curi this french (ek? french ke?) movie from you. nampak interesting je

FM said...

heheh boleh je i drop kan kat rumah u :) nak?